How Far Along? 32 weeks (OK, actually 31 weeks 6 days)
Total Weight Gained/Loss? +11 pounds
Maternity Clothes: Yes. I am tired of them. Now my pants and underpants all roll down under my belly but I can’t stand panels so I don’t see a good solution there. I am super sick of my 4 pairs of maternity pants but am stuck with them until this blasted snow melts. It was below 0 F this morning (now a balmy +8 F) so I don’t see that happening too soon.
Sleep? Pretty OK. I’m definitely rolling around a lot trying to get comfortable, and changing positions is kind of exciting (read: painful), but I really can’t complain too much because I’m still getting a pretty good night’s rest.
Aches and Pains? Still just my hips and lower back. I moved a bunch of heavy things on Monday and paid for it dearly on Tuesday, but am feeling better now. I made my chiro appointments 3 weeks apart on the advice of the chiropractor but will switch back to every 2 weeks. Still no pubic symphysis pain! Knock wood!
Best Moments of the Week? We took Juju to a dog sledding display last weekend which she love love loved. She’s too young to ride in the sleds still but loved petting the dogs and puppies. I also got her a little tabletop easel which has been a lot of fun too. She sure loves art. She has requested that we make pink playdough tonight.
Movement: Tons. C has been feeling Jelly’s position for me– she’s quite good at it! I can’t tell for squat where he is. According to C he’s still head down which does jive with those bladder kicks I feel most evenings.
Food Craving: Nothing in particular.
Food Aversions: Nothing in particular.
Morning sickness? Nope. C’s still feeding the cats, though. Their wet food still makes me gag.
Gender: It’s a boy!
What I miss: Wine. Sitting/standing/lying down without pain.
What I’m looking forward to: A freebie hotel night on Friday– we had a reward that was going to expire so we’re going on a teensy vacation for one night. Juju will love the hotel pool. Continuing to organize the kids’ room.
Baby preparedness: We should really rename this “fitting another human into our life and home.”
-I cleared a space in the kids’ room for a cubby shelf for Jelly’s things. C needs to assemble the shelf and then we’ll buy some bins for it.
-Jelly’s clothes (we don’t have many) are sorted but not washed.
-We need to get all of the baby things out of the crawl space.
-We need to clear space in our room for the co-sleeper and a diaper changing area for Jelly.
-I suppose I have to get the pump out at some point and wash all of the bottles and stuff. Blegh. Can I tell you a secret? I kept all of my nipple shields. I want to get rid of them but I want to be sure I won’t need them again first.
-I need to start practicing my hypno.babies! I can’t even remember, but I don’t think I started in earnest until 36 weeks last time. But I really shouldn’t put it off too much longer.
-I started making a nightly cup of raspberry tea, and I’ll start oral evening primrose oil in a couple of weeks.
-I finally made an appointment with a backup provider in case we have a hospital transfer. It’s the same doctor I saw last time for backup coverage. She’s an osteopath and pretty natural birth friendly. Obviously I get that if we do have a hospital transfer some of our birth plan will be out the window, but I do want a backup provider who would be amenable to delayed cord clamping, skin to skin, minimal monitoring (maybe?), etc.
Whew! I guess this is really going to happen!
I’m nearly 28 weeks now and spent the weekend feeling stiff and sore and generally third trimesterish. I can never remember when the third trimester starts, and there seems to be no real consensus about it, but several “sources” (i.e. Baby.center) say 27 weeks so I’m going to go with it! I am now as big as I was with Juju at about 30 or 32 weeks. I don’t have any measurements from that time but comparing pics of myself from last time, yeah, I’m definitely way bigger.
I still feel pretty good overall– not too tired and I can get up and down and around pretty well. I’m still sitting on a small stool on the floor to do my math groups, but probably not for too much longer. My hips are way creaky but chiropractic and stretching is helping. No pubic symphysis pain yet except for some very very minor pain a few weeks ago. Hoping that beast stays away– yeeeow. I’ve had a bit of round ligament pain in the past week but nothing too bad.
I think Jelly is head down judging by the kind of movements I feel– lots of hard kicks up high and flutters down low. The midwives taught C how to feel for positioning last time and she’s actually not half bad at it. She agrees with me about his position. Jelly does a little booty shake most evenings and we’re both in agreement it’s a butt up there wiggling around.
Juju continues to be amazing and hilarious. We have survived the time change and seem to mostly have her back on schedule. She is a little excited about the baby and a little apprehensive. She doesn’t want to touch my stomach or kiss it, though she did kiss the baby for the first time ever last night after elbowing him while she was climbing around on me. We’ve read lots of big sister type books and I don’t know how much she’s taking in or what she really thinks. Her favorite is a kind of stupid one called Penny Loves Pink. My favorites have been A Baby is Coming to Your House and Mr. Rogers’s The New Baby. We also have a nice book about nursing called Mama’s Milk. Any other suggestions?
C and I just have to make it through 3 more work days and then we’re off to Hawaii with Juju in tow. Come on, sunshine. It’s “warmer” here, but still only about +15 F, which is no one’s idea of warm.
How Far Along? 23 weeks, 1 day
Total Weight Gained/Loss? +5 pounds
Maternity Clothes: Yep. I have the same stuff I did with Juju as I haven’t bought anything new. It’s getting boring already, but such is life. I do love me some maternity pants. Not panels, which I can’t stand, but just a nice elastic waist. Ahh.
Sleep? Not bad. I’m getting creeeeaky but am still sleeping well with maybe one wakeup to pee. Nothing to complain about.
Aches and Pains? My hips are beginning their separation and relocation to other parts of my anatomy. Sitting for longer than oh, 5 minutes, results in some good creaks when I get up. Going to the chiro the week after next. The SPD hasn’t reared its ugly head too much yet but I have felt it go out of alignment a couple of times already. I wince at the memory of that ripping feeling in my crotch– yeouch.
Best Moments of the Week? The light is coming back which is amazing. We’re having a very warm (well, for us) winter. I had a good week with my students too. We made bridges and then tested them to see how much weight they’d hold without breaking. The kids got really into it.
Movement: Tons. This kid is a mover and shaker. He loves to roll and does these huge flops when I reach up high to grab things up high– something about that movement and stretch. He also wiggled like craxy a couple of days ago when Juju was throwing an extremely loud tantrum. He’ll be used to the sound before he gets here!
Food Craving: Expensive cuts of meat like last time. Somebody make me a filet mignon! And not well done either!
Food Aversions: I’m pretty much over this now thankfully.
Morning sickness? Nope. Still the odd toothbrush gag but nothing major.
Gender: It’s a boy!
What I miss: Hips that work properly. Being able to lift Juju easily and without pelvic pain. Wine. :)
What I’m looking forward to: Hawaii in a month! Reorganizing Juju’s (and Jelly’s) room.
Baby preparedness: We should really rename this “fitting another human into our life and home.” We’re making a plan to get rid of a bookshelf in Juju’s room and get another cubby shelf for Jelly’s clothes. The closet needs to be cleared too. We need a mattress for the crib– the one that was there is now in Juju’s toddler bed. We also need to make space in our room for the cosleeper which will have to get used this time. Juju slept in it maybe 5 times!
I’m home with a sick-but-recovering-but-still-pretty-dang-fussy Juju today. She’s asleep and I’ve already cleaned up the kitchen, folded the laundry and read the Downton Abbey Facebook Recap, and internet shopping is bad for my finances, so I’m going to subject you to this long typing exercise. I mean meme.
1. How old will you be in five years?
Forty fucking years old. I mean, forty. And a half.
2. Who did you spend at least two hours with today?
Just me and Juju, and C if you count sleeping.
3. How tall are you?
5’3″ and a half.
4. What do you look forward to most in the next six weeks?
6 weeks until spring break and then Maui!
5. What’s the last movie you saw?
We neeeever watch movies anymore. I think it was Despicable Me, actually, ha.
6. Who was the last person you called?
My daycare provider.
7. Who was the last person to call you?
C called us during her lunch.
8. What was the last text message you received?
“Looks fun and sloppy” from C in response to a pic I sent of Juju ladling colored soapy water from the sink into a bunch of small bowls.
9. Who was the last person to leave you a voice mail?
C’s dad. He calls a lot. :) He is one of those people who likes to tell you the weather forecast every day, which is a little annoying but mostly endearing.
10. Do you prefer to call or text?
Text or email.
11. What were you doing at 12am last night?
Sleeping with one ear open for puke noises from Juju’s room (there were none).
12. Are your parents married/divorced?
13. When did you last see your mom?
14. What color are your eyes?
Blue, sort of sea green in the right light.
15. What time did you wake up this morning?
6:00. Also I tucked Juju back in at 5:00. Way to spend a day off.
16. What are you wearing right now?
Pajama pants, v-neck shirt, San Francisco zip up hoodie that my belly is outgrowing.
17. What is your favorite Christmas song?
In the Bleak Midwinter
18. Where is your favorite place to be?
Home. Or the beach.
19. Where is your least favorite place to be?
Probably at a party.
20. Where would you go if you could go anywhere?
I want to take the Trans-Siberian Express going westward from Vladivostok.
21. Where do you think you’ll be in 10 years?
Hopefully in a bigger house, or at least one with a yard.
22. Do you tan or burn?
Mostly burn and freckle. Maybe tan a teeny bit.
23. What did you fear was going to get you at night when you were a child?
I am still uneasy in the dark, actually. As a kid I think I just feared the Boogeyman, or a stubbed toe.
24. What was the last thing that really made you laugh?
C and I were cracking up in bed last night talking about Juju’s illness and recovery. We’re horrible, aren’t we? It’s just that Juju had the rankest… OK, probably more info than you need.
25. How many TVs do you have in your house?
26. How big is your bed?
27. Do you have a laptop or desktop?
28. Do you sleep with or without clothes?
Undies only or naked.
29. What color are your sheets?
30. How many pillows do you sleep with?
Two, and C has two and a pretty big teddy bear. This might be why we don’t co-sleep.
31. What is your favorite season?
Summer. Or fall if I were someplace where fall is more than a week long.
33. What do you like about winter?
Christmas. How pretty and sparkly it is. How people band together here to fight off the darkness with alcohol and carbs. Having a perfectly good excuse to stay home in pj’s and read.
34. What do you like about the summer?
Light! Not having to wear a million layers. SANDALS. Swimming.
35. What do you like about spring?
Buds on the trees, people flocking out on that first nice day, smelling living things again, days getting longer, opening the windows after a long winter.
36. How many states/provinces have you lived in?
(No autumn?) Two, here and in the SW.
37. What cities/towns have you lived in?
Three, here and two in the SW.
38. Do you prefer shoes, socks, or bare feet?
Bare feet or flip flops.
39. Are you a social person?
40. What was the last thing you ate?
Half an apple and a bowl of homemade mac and cheese.
41. What is your favorite restaurant?
I like Thai food and have a favorite Thai place downtown.
42. What is your favorite ice cream?
43. What is your favorite dessert?
44. What is your favorite kind of soup?
Tomato or black bean. Or a really good homemade chicken noodle, but it has to be homemade.
45. What kind of jelly do you like on your PB & J sandwich?
I like raspberry jam. I’m not so much with the jellies.
46. Do you like Chinese food?
Definitely. We almost never get takeout Chinese but Jelly has been super craving it so I may have to bend C’s arm.
47. Do you like coffee?
Goodness yes. We just got a Keurig and it’s awesome. My favorite though is a plain latte. Pretty boring.
48. How many glasses of water a day do you drink on average?
8 or 10. I don’t drink anything but water and coffee.
49. What do you drink in the morning?
Coffee with cream.
51. Do you sleep on a certain side of the bed?
52. Do you know how to play poker?
Yes but I haven’t since my days as a Girl Scout camp counselor.
53. Do you like to cuddle?
Yes but I don’t want anyone touching me when I try to sleep.
54. Have you ever been to Canada?
I drove through on my way here but that’s it.
55. Do you have an addictive personality?
I don’t think so.
56. Do you eat out or at home more often?
Home, and I take a lunch every day to work. I get a half hour so I can’t imagine how you could leave the building and make it back.
58. Do you know anyone with the same birthday as you?
Not that I know of. Juju’s is a week after mine.
59. Do you want kids?
Maybe? Just kidding.
60. Do you speak any other languages?
I’m rusty, but I used to speak Spanish pretty well. I can get around on vacation, at least well enough to not get taken by hagglers.
61. Have you ever gotten stitches?
Just in my gums after my wisdom teeth. After my gallbladder surgery I just had steri strips and tegaderm. edited: Oh, and in my nether regions after Juju was born! Blocked that one, didn’t I?!
62. Have you ever ridden in an ambulance?
63. Do you prefer an ocean or a pool?
Ocean, but I will certainly accept a pool!
64. Do you prefer a window seat or an aisle seat?
I never know! I like to look out, but I don’t like to be penned in. These days I’m always in the middle with C on the aisle and Juju at the window.
65. Do you know how to drive stick?
No. Several people have tried to teach me but it never sticks. Ha ha.
66. What is your favorite thing to spend money on?
Juju. And food. And accoutrements for travel.
67. Do you wear any jewelry 24/7?
I mostly take my rings off at home– actually I take them off to cook and then just don’t put them on again until I leave the house. I do wear small opal stud earrings all the time.
68. What is your favorite TV show?
Lately Revolution or Grimm. Of all time probably Lost.
69. Can you roll your tongue?
70. Who is the funniest person you know?
I know a lot of really funny people!
71. Do you sleep with stuffed animals?
Just C’s scratchy teddy bear– he wears clothes for me.
72. What is the main ring tone on your phone?
It’s a train whistle. I set it up when I got the phone and then I never learned how to do a better ringtone.
73. Do you still have clothes from when you were little?
My mom is such a hoarder. I have tons of stuff from when I was little. I get it back one flat rate box at a time.
74. What red object is closest to you right now?
Juju’s Rody horse is part red.
75. Do you turn off the water while you brush your teeth?
I let it run until it’s warm so I can wash my face after, and then I turn it off.
76. Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed?
Closed so the cats stay out. What a boring question! Who cares!
77. Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees?
Swarm of bees, I guess? More chance of surviving it, more chance of getting covered in honey.
78. Do you flirt a lot?
Not at all.
79. What do you dip a chicken nugget in?
Just plain honey.
80. What is your favorite food?
Hmmm. I love a hot loaf of fresh French bread with some Camembert.
81. Can you change the oil on a car?
I haven’t in like 12 years, but I could once.
82. Have you ever gotten a speeding ticket?
I have never even been pulled over. I’m such a goody two shoes.
83. Have you ever run out of gas?
84. What is your usual bed time?
About 9:30. Baller!
85. What was the last book you read?
I’m reading the latest #1 Ladies’ Detective Agency. It’s hardly highbrow. Don’t judge me, I read a lot! And I like fluff.
86. Do you read the newspaper?
Rarely. C will catch me up.
87. Do you have any magazine subscriptions?
No. I’d appreciate suggestions for Juju, though. I have been thinking of Ladybug for her.
89. Do you watch soap operas?
90. Do you dance in the car?
No, I listen to NPR and it’s not very danceable.
91. What radio station did you last listen to?
NPR when I’m by myself, Raffi or The Beach Boys if I’m with Juju.
92. Who is in the picture frame closest to you?
Me and C, looking super young.
93. What was the last note you scribbled on a piece of paper?
Juju’s measurements for some little nightgowns my mom is going to make her.
94. What is your favorite candle scent?
I can’t stand scented candles.
95. What is your favorite board game?
Apples to Apples. With Juju, My First Orchard Game or Zitternix.
97. When was the last time you attended church?
I went to a Christmas service with my parents in…2007?
98. Who was your favorite teacher in high school?
My (female) chemistry teacher was pretty awesome and would swear (mildly) which of course we loved.
99. What is the longest you have ever camped out in a tent?
All summer if a platform tent counts. Otherwise maybe 5 days of backpacking.
100. Who was the last person to do something extra special for you?
C bought me a bunch of dye-free sweets because the baby wants sweets but I should maybe lay off the jellybeans. I love her for finding me an alternative instead of chastising me. (She did a bit, but gently.) :)